Cooking time: 45 min; serves 4-6 ppl
I love the rich and flavorful spices that Georgian cuisine offers. Meat or chicken in spicy tomato sauce, vegetables with spicy walnut stuffing… This chicken dish in tomato sauce is an absolute favorite in my family. You can make it with the whole free range chicken or just chicken thigh/chicken breast combination.
What you will need:
- 6 pieces of chicken thighs (boneless, skinless) cut in 2 inch squares
- 2 chicken breasts – cut in 2 inch squares
- 3 tb spoons of cooking olive or avocado oil
- 1 onion, finally chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finally chopped
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes (500gr)
- 2 tb spoons or tomato puree
- Generous bunch of cilantro, chopped
- 1 tb spoon Uckho Suneli / Georgian spices or Adjika (can be replaced with Blue Fenugreek, Coriander and Chili combination)
Place medium sized pot or Dutch oven on the stove top with medium heat. Place part of the oil in the pot and heat slightly. Brown the chicken pieces in 2 batches from all sides. do not cook thoroughly as chicken will still cook in the sauce. Remove chicken from the Dutch oven. Add rest of the old, then add finely chopped onion and garlic and sauté for 5 min. Then add chicken back to the pot. Add crushed tomatoes and tomato puree, cover with lid and cook for 20 min. Add spices, salt and cilantro. Let it cook another 5 minutes and turn off the heat. Serve hot either with steamed rice or with warm bread.