This is my mom’s delicious, slow cooked beef stew. It takes a little while to cook, but is absolutely wonderful and always feels like home. Perfect for rainy or snowy Sunday afternoons.
Ingredients (Serves 4-6):
- 2 pounds of stew beef chunks
- 1 large red onion, whole peeled
- 4 medium potatoes, cut in medium squares
- Bunch of cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 finely chopped garlic clove
- Georgian Adjika (can be replaced with combination of chili, marigold and fenugreek or any other spices of your choice. Worcestershire sauce would go perfectly well too)
- 2 table spoons of flour
- Bit of olive oil
Brown the beef chunks in olive oil in a heated Dutch oven. Then add whole peeled onion and boiling water, enough to cover the beef (you will be adding more water later). Close the lid and let it cook on the stove top for about 2 hours on a slow heat, stirring occasionally and checking the water level. If water evaporates, add more. After about 2 hours, beef should be fully cooked and very soft, at this stage you can take out the cooked onion or leave it in. Add potatoes, spices, salt and some more water, enough to cover all the ingredients. Let it cook another 15 min or so, then add cilantro and if the sauce is not thick enough, add flour. Cook for another 10 min until the sauce thickens.
More on www.instagram.com/q.licious